Other Cheshire-Yorkshire connections
Other de Verdun connections between Cheshire
(where a branch of the de Verdons of Fulshaw settled)
The place Thomas Verdon of Fulshaw in Cheshire & Knottingley in Yorkshire is mentioned (above) as having been baptised is actually Kilnwick not as recorded by Earwaker - Kinwick. Beswick, Thomas's birthplace, is located within the parish of Kilnwick-on-the-Wolds. Beswick is north of the ancient town of Beverley, famous for its medieval Minster Church of St. John & St. Martin, built on the site of the much older monastery. Knottingley lies on the River Aire and is located north east of and close to Pontefract. Interestingly the manor of Knottingley was part of the Honour of Pontefract, and it was held by the de Lacy family after the Norman conquest. On the death of Henry de Lacy in 1310 (or 1311), the manor passed to Thomas, Earl of Lancaster in 1311, who had married Henry's daughter and heiress Alice de Lacy.
These de Lacys were the descendants of Ilbert de Lacy, who came from Lasci (now Lassy) in Normady with his brother Walter de Lacy, the founder of the de Lacy family of Stanton Lacy and Ludlow, who later became Lords of Meath and Earl of Ulster. Margery, daughter and heiress of one of Walter's descendants Gilbert de Lacy, married John de Verdon son of Roesia de Verdon and Theobald de Botiller; John and his descendants thereby became Lords of Meath.
After the dissolution of the monasteries, the lands of Pontefract were acquired by William Clifford and Michael Wildbore. In 1607, the lordship of the manor of Knottingley passed to a family called Grimsditch, from London, on the marriage of one of them to the daughter of Richard Wildbore. It is not known what connections there may have been with the Verdons, who were either living here or at Beal to the north. The Verdons of Beal, in the parish of Kellington, are mentioned in the 1600s and 1700s.
Henry de Lacy mentioned above, was the son of Edmund de Lacy and grandson of John de Lacy. Henry was Earl of Lincoln, Baron of Pontefract, Lord of Bowland, Lord of Blackburnshire and also Baron of Halton in Cheshire and Constable of Chester. In the 13th century the manor of Congleton in Cheshire belonged to the de Lacys and was part of the barony of Halton. Henry de Lacy granted Congleton its first charter in 1272. In the year 1281, during Henry's time as Constable of Chester, Reginald de Grey, 1st Baron Grey of Wilton, lord of Dyffryn Clwyd and of Ruthin, was Justice of Chester and his Squire, Adam de Verdon was Constable of Chester Castle.
As mentioned, Congleton was part of the barony of Halton and this connection continued into at least the 16th century, as witnessed by a record that coincidently also mentions another Verdon. In 1595, a payment was recorded in the records of the Court at Congleton to John Verdon, for taking a felon from Congleton to Halton. In another record John is recorded as John Vardon and referred to as being an 'Officer'. Perhaps he was a Constable of the manor, an appointment that was often made for periods of a year. He is John Verdon / Vardon mentioned above, the first of his family to live at Congleton.